See also 53. BOOKS ; 104. CRITICISM ; 236. LANGUAGE ; 237. LANGUAGE STYLE ; 248. LITERARY STYLE ; 249. LITERATURE ; 346. READING ; 354. RHETORIC and RHETORICAL DEVICES ; 409. VERSE .
- 1. an author’s use of a name belonging to another, especially to a well-known person.
- 2. the state or quality, in a name, of being an allonym.
- a name of one person used by another, such as a writer using the name of someone other than himself for concealment of identity or other purpose. Cf. pseudonym . —allonymous, adj.
- the use by a female writer of a male pseudonym. —pseudandrous, adj.
- the use by a male writer of a female pseudonym. —pseudogynous, adj.
- a nom de plume or fictitious name, especially one used by an author to conceal his identity. Cf. allonymy . —pseudonymous, adj.
- 1. use of a pseudonym by an author to conceal his identity.
- 2. the state or quality of being pseudonymous.
- an obsession with the expectation of publication.
More From encyclopedia.com
Name , name / nām/ ? n. 1. a word or set of words by which a person, animal, place, or thing is known, addressed, or referred to: my name is Parsons, John P… Identity , Identity is not a Freudian concept. Theoreticians have defined it in very different ways: as a structure that accounts for narcissism and is part of… Use , use ? v. 1. / yoōz/ [tr.] take, hold, or deploy (something) as a means of accomplishing a purpose or achieving a result; employ: she used her key to… ALIAS , alias ?Bierce, fierce, Pearce, Peirce, pierce, tierce ?Fabius, scabious ?Eusebius ?amphibious, Polybius ?dubious ? Thaddeus ? compendious ?radius ? t… Kabwe , Kabwe ?Kabwe ? hatchway ? trackway ?tramway ? gangway ? Yahweh ?archway ? parkway ? pathway ?headway ? segue ? expressway ?airway, fairway, stairway… Octavia , Octavia ?astrantia ? Bastia ?Dei gratia, hamartia ?poinsettia ?in absentia, Parmentier ?Izvestia ?meteor, wheatear ?Whittier ? cottier ? Ostia ?conso…
About this article
Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article